Summer is my absolute favorite time of year. And it’s no secret that I’m an avid sunseeker.
For one, it boosts my mood. There’s nothing quite like renewed socialization in the sunshine with friends and family at cookouts, vacations, and more.
Of course, for many folks, summertime and a certain cold, crisp beverage go hand-in-hand.
But have you heard some people are quite literally pouring a cold one… over their skin? (Don’t worry, I’m just as gobsmacked as you are!)
Beer won’t amplify your tan (quite the opposite!)
Apparently, a social media trend is making waves—influencing people to pour beer over their skin.
To amplify that “healthy” summertime glow.
Individuals are claiming it’s comparable to using tanning oil. They’re saying beer contains hops, which may activate melanin production. (When your skin “tans,” it’s a result of increased melanin production.)
Fortunately, dermatologists are issuing a stark warning that this habit could increase risk of sunburn—and therefore, sun poisoning and/or skin cancer.
But more importantly—and sadly—it highlights how our younger generations might not have a healthy dose of truth when it comes to the ill-effects of sun damage.
In fact, a recent study of 1,000 young adults, aged 18 to 25, found:
- 40 percent are unaware of tanning risks, with 59 percent believing that getting a “base tan” will prevent sunburn and further sun damage
- 71 percent are unaware of sunburn risks
Like many folks, I don’t mind getting a healthy glow on my skin. But there’s a fine line between sun-kissed… and sun-scorched.
Not to mention, there’s absolutely no reason why we need to amplify the effect of the sun’s powerful, potentially dangerous ultraviolet (UV) rays.
As a general rule of thumb, I recommend enjoying around 20 minutes of maximum sun exposure on bare skin—that means without tanning oil—before taking protective measures.
That way, you can safely enjoy more fun in the sun this summer… without sacrificing your health.
To learn my top-three tips for SAFE sunbathing, check out the June 2022 issue of my monthly Logical Health Alternatives newsletter. Subscribers have access to this content, and much more, in the archives.
So if you haven’t already, click here to learn about becoming a subscriber.
And in the meantime…
Here’s what else we talked about this week in the Reality Health Check:
- Eating a Western-style diet, like the Standard American Diet, can exacerbate memory loss.
- But one dietary compound can help.
- Here’s everything you need to know…
- This could be the biggest vision breakthrough of the 21st century
- This 100% natural substance could help spell the end of freedom-ending vision loss, including age-related macular degeneration (AMD) the leading cause of vision loss in old age.
- In fact, a stunning study showed it was universally effective at improving vision and helping REVERSE AMD symptoms!
- When you think about skin cancer, a few problem areas likely come to mind.
- But did you know skin cancer can lurk in unusual places…
- Including “where the sun don’t shine?”
- There’s a city in northern Europe where cancer rates are 4X LOWER than they are here…
- And researchers have traced it back to what they eat for breakfast.
- 1 common breakfast cereal reprograms cancer cells?
- The World Health Organization is finally urging people to AVOID using sugar substitutes when trying to lose weight.
- In fact, they found non-sugar sweeteners do NOT “confer any long-term benefit in reducing body fat in adults or children.”
- But wait, there’s more…
Until next week,
“Beer is replacing tanning oil — TikTok trend gives new meaning to the term ‘beer belly’.” MDLinx, 06/28/2023. (mdlinx.com/article/beer-is-replacing-tanning-oil-tiktok-trend-gives-new-meaning-to-the-term-beer-belly/5p2rLcVH0bNef3iYg2b2ux)