COVID-19: Say it with me one more time… we will get through this

I’m a New Yorker, born and bred. And these days, that basically means everyone here knows someone who has experienced the wrath of COVID-19.

It’s the price we pay for living in a populous, international hub that’s known for being one of the world’s most open and accepting places. And you know what? There’s still nowhere else we’d rather be.

This is our home, and we know we’re going to get through this. Even as the relentless 24-hour news cycle persists in telling the world that we’re on the verge of collapse.

The fear and panic I see everywhere I turn is disheartening and exhausting. And if it’s affecting me, then it’s probably safe to say that it’s affecting you, too.

Anger and anxiety abound

Now, I still don’t want you to panic. But it’s okay if you’re feeling a spectrum of emotions. Personally, right now, I feel anger.

I’m angry that there’s so much media commentary from people who are not public health experts, but who earn ratings from their senselessness.

I’m also angry that so many actual doctors and scientists have chosen to spend their time arguing, disagreeing, and pointing fingers in the midst of a pandemic. It’s not helpful—and it only fuels public panic.

The list of things related to this crisis that I’m angry about could go on and on, but let’s just leave it at that.

Because right now, I’d rather have another frank and factual discussion with you, in the hopes of relieving some of your anxiety… and hopefully, giving your adrenal glands a much needed break from the fight-or-flight mode that we’re all experiencing in one way or another.

As I’ve said here before, facts are almost always the most effective antidote to fear. So once again, let’s look at some facts surrounding COVID-19.

Starting with this one: The United States is the third most populous country in the world.  Which means we’re likely to have more cases than most other countries. That’s just how it works, plain and simple.

And I want you to keep that in mind as you watch the numbers add up on all of those death toll calculators you might come across.

Putting the crisis in context

The numbers themselves are especially frightening out of context.

But for a more accurate idea of the impact of this crisis, you really need to be looking at cases per million people, along with deaths per million people. (Not to mention, a number of other parameters that professional statisticians would know better than I.)

So, when you start to see numbers that scare you, try to remain calm and put them into context.

Here are some numbers, for example, that you may not hear about. (Because, again—fear translates to ratings. So most media outlets overlook such stats.)

Every day in the U.S., an average of 7,452 people die. And while COVID-19 has rapidly (and temporarily) ascended the ranks as a cause of death, based on the current numbers as I write this, nearly twice as many people die from heart disease and cancer every day.

Even in Italy, preliminary reports estimate that only 14 percent of those who died during this pandemic actually died from the virus. Which means the other 86 percent died of something else entirely.

Is this good news? Of course not. These aren’t insignificant numbers, and there’s a good reason half the globe is at a standstill right now.

But I want you to resist panicking at all costs. Because when you break it down, the U.S. is actually faring better than a lot of other areas of the world—thanks in no small part to the swift and decisive action so many of our governors have taken to help control the spread of COVID-19.

Of course, I realize this still leaves the question of what you should be doing to keep stress and anxiety at bay. And I plan to address exactly that over the next few days. So, as always, stay tuned…

P.S. One simple way to help ease your mind during this crisis is by boosting your immune system. And my Complete Guide to Year-Round Immunity details a full breakdown on the most powerful, natural approaches to do just that. To learn more, or to order yourself a copy today, click here now!