- 10 heads garlic, cloves separated and peeled
- 1 quart chicken or vegetable broth
- coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup mascarpone
- 4 chives, finely chopped
- Put the peeled garlic cloves in a large stockpot and add enough water to cover them by 2 inches. Bring the water to a boil over high heat and then drain the water. Repeat this step twice and then return the garlic to the pot.
- Add the broth and season with salt and pepper. Bring the broth to a boil over high heat.
- Decrease the heat and simmer until the garlic is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and allow the soup to cool.
- Transfer the soup to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pot and whisk in the cream. Bring to a simmer over low heat.
- Divide the soup among four bowls, top with the mascarpone, and sprinkle with chives. Serve.