- 8 large egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup frozen guava puree, thawed
- Preheat the oven to 300°F. Place a kettle of water over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Put the egg yolks in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, bring the cream to a simmer over medium heat. As soon as it begins to simmer, remove the pan from the heat. Whisk the egg yolks vigorously while adding the cream in a slow, thin stream. Do not add the cream too quickly or the mixture will curdle.
- Pour the cream mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl. Add the guava purée and stir until well blended.
- Pour the mixture into six 1/2-cup ramekins and place them in a small baking dish. Carefully add boiling water to the baking dish to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake until set, about 45 minutes. Remove the ramekins from the water and set aside on a rack to cool.
- Just prior to serving, scorch the top layer of the crème mixture under the broiler or with a handheld kitchen torch until lightly golden (you don’t need sugar). Serve.