- 3 tablespoons macadamia nut oil, divided
- 2 (1/2-inch-thick) eggplant slices
- 6 ounces cremini mushrooms, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 6 ounces ground turkey breast
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon chia seeds
- 2 lettuce leaves (optional)
- 2 red onion slices (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Drizzle a baking sheet with 1 tablespoon of the oil and lay the eggplant slices on it. Drizzle another tablespoon of the oil over the eggplant slices. Roast for 2 to 3 minutes, flip the eggplant slices over, and roast for another 2 to 3 minutes—you want these crisp-tender and not mushy. Transfer the eggplant slices to two plates.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Drain the liquid, transfer the mushrooms to a medium bowl, and season with salt and pepper. Add the ricotta cheese, ground turkey, egg, basil, and chia seeds. Form two patties. Be careful not to overwork the meat or pack the patties too tightly.
- Preheat an outdoor grill or stovetop grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill the burgers for 5 to 7 minutes on each side.
- Place a lettuce leaf and a slice of red onion, if desired, on each eggplant slice and top with a burger. Serve.