- 2 pounds jumbo asparagus, trimmed and bottoms peeled
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon hot Chinese mustard
- coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Prepare an ice-water bath.
- Add the asparagus to the boiling water and blanch until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain and transfer to the ice bath; when cool, drain on a paper towel–lined plate.
- Whisk together the vinegar and mustards and season with salt and pepper. Whisking continuously, add the oil in a slow, steady stream until it emulsifies.
- Transfer the asparagus to a platter and serve with the vinaigrette.