1 lamb shoulder (4 to 5 lbs)
3 garlic cloves (1 sliced, 2 minced)
¼ cup of macnut oil
salt and black pepper
2 TB herbes de provence
2 zucchini, trimmed, cut into 1/8 inch slices
1 small eggplant, trimmed, cut into 1/8 inch slices
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 orange bell pepper, cut into 1/8 inch slices
- Stud the lamb with slivers of one garlic clove.
- Rub in 2 tsp of mac oil
- Season with salt and pepper and generously sprinkle 1TB of herbes de provence all over the lamb and set aside for about 30 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 375
- Oil a rectangular gratin dish and arrange the zucchini, eggplant, onion and bell pepper in overlapping rows.
- Drizzle with mac oil, sprinkle with herbes de provence and garlic and season generously with salt and pepper
- Place the lamb on a small metal roasting rack crosswise on top of the gratin dish, set in the oven and roast for 45 minutes, turning the lamb occasionally or until a thermometer reads 130 for medium rare
- Remove the lamb from the oven, cover loosely with aluminum foil and let stand for 20 minutes leaving the vegetables to continue roasting until they are tender and the edges browned.
- Place the lamb on top of the vegetables and carve the shoulder at the table allowing the meat juices to run