Researchers reveal a startling link
We’ve known for a long time that people with depression have a much higher risk of developing heart disease.1
But even when you consider that strong link, taking a mood-boosting prescription medication is NOT the solution.
In fact, according to a startling new study, many of these blockbuster, antidepressant drugs can WREAK HAVOC on your heart…
And could turn downright DEADLY.2
Heightened health hazards
Scientists with the University of Bristol in the U.K. analyzed data on more than 200,000 men and women between the ages 40 and 69.
Specifically, they wanted to investigate the link between long-term antidepressant drug use and these six adverse health outcomes:
- High blood pressure
- Coronary heart disease
- Cerebrovascular disease (such as stroke)
- Death from cardiovascular disease
- Death from ANY cause
I should note, researchers classified antidepressants into two types: selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), such as citalopram, sertraline, fluoxetine, and paroxetine, and non-SSRI antidepressants, such as mirtazapine, venlafaxine, duloxetine, and trazodone.
They also “controlled” for pre-existing risk factors (such as obesity), which means they took these factors into account to prevent them from interfering with results.
It turns out, compared to non-users of antidepressant drugs, those who took an SSRI for 10 years had a:
- 34 percent higher risk of developing cerebrovascular disease (such as stroke)
- 87 percent higher risk of DYING from cardiovascular disease
- 73 percent higher risk of DYING from
Moreover, the people who took a non-SSRI drug for 10 years fared WORSE than those taking an SSRI. In fact, compared to non-users, they had a:
- 99 percent higher risk of developing coronary heart disease
- 86 percent higher risk of developing cardiovascular disease
- 220 percent higher risk of DYING from
These findings emphasize just how important your mental health is when it comes to surviving a heart attack. (Learn more on page 4.) But this is one case where the “cure” is far deadlier than the disease!
Plus, as disturbing as these findings are, there’s something even more troubling you should know about…
As I covered in the November 2022 issue of Logical Health Alternatives, many antidepressant drugs don’t even work as promised for depression.
In fact, they were built on a flawed premise. Which means they were DOOMED TO FAIL from the start. (That certainly helps explain why so few people with depression respond to them!)
You can access that entire, eye-opening report—and learn about the many safe, effective, natural options to ward off anxiety and depression—by visiting my website, www.DrPescatore.com. Then, click on the blue “subscribers” tab at the top and scroll down to the November 2022 issue.
- “Heart disease and depression: A two-way relationship.” National Institute of Health, 4/16/17. (nhlbi.nih.gov/news/2017/heart-disease-and-depression-two-way-relationship)
- “Antidepressant use and risk of adverse outcomes: Population-based cohort study.” BJPsych Open,2022; 8(5), E164. doi.org/10.1192/bjo.2022.563