- 4 ounces okra, cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons macadamia nut oil, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound Italian sausage, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 18 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 18 oysters, shucked
- In a medium bowl, toss together the okra, vinegar, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large stockpot, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, bell pepper, and garlic and sauté until well wilted but not browned, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Stir in the bay leaf, thyme, oregano, and cayenne. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Decrease the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- While the broth simmers, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Cook the sausage, browning it for about 4 minutes on each side. Transfer the sausage to the soup pot.
- Rinse the okra and transfer it to the soup pot. Let the soup simmer for 15 minutes. Add the shrimp and oysters, cover the pot, and remove from the heat.
- Let the soup stand until the shrimp are barely pink and the oysters are slightly plump, about 6 minutes. Serve.